Basic Potato Salad Recipes
This summer, I put chopped green onion, peas, chopped ham, chopped dill pickles, a little sugar, a little mustard, mayo, and chopped eggs to my potato salad.Potato salad is a summertime favorite, and so easy to make. Perfect for those outdoor grilling parties and family reunions.
Also below, are some recipes for German Potato Salad, a Beet-Potato Salad, and a Potato Pea Salad.
Basic Potato Salad
- 5 to 6 med. potatoes, cover with water and boil 45 min.
- 2 eggs, boil 20 minutes, cool, peel, and chop
- Peel the potatoes and dice to the desired size. (I like smaller bite-size pieces)
- Add the chopped eggs to the diced potatoes. Add about a 1/2 cup mayonnaise and carefully stir it all up. (Add more mayonnaise if needed, or add a little milk to make it creamier.)
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery sliced in small pieces
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup relish
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Chill several hours or overnight. So you see, there is a variety of different ingredients you can add, it pretty much depends on what part of the country you are from and your tastebuds.
Grandma's Potato Salad
5 to 6 med. potatoes, boiled, peeled, and diced
2 eggs, chopped
- In a bowl add:
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 3 Tblsp. mayo
- 1 Tblsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- a little celery seed
Mix and add to potatoes
Recipe from 1982
Potato Salad for a Crowd
- 12-14 potatoes, boiled and diced
- 12 eggs, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pint Hellman's (only) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients together. Set a few hours before serving.
Potato and Pea Salad
- 2 cups boiled diced potatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup French Dressing
- Lettuce, Mayo
Pour 2/3 of the French Dressing over the potatoes and the other 1/3 over the peas. Chill both in fridge 1 hr. Then combine them and arrange on lettuce leaves. Garnish with mayo.
Recipe from 1971
Potato Salad with Apples
- Cook and cubed 3 cups potatoes cold
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped and save a few slices for the top
- 1 small onion chopped or 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 apples peeled and diced
- 6 radishes sliced (optional)
- 1/2 pepper chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber (optional)
- chopped chives and mint(optional)
- 1 cup salad dressing
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp mustard and Salt and pepper
In a small bowl mix up:
Mix all together and mix with the veggies. Lay some egg slices on the top and sprinkle Paprika over the top.
Potato Salad with Beets (Viniagrette)
-Dice cold boiled potatoes in one-half inch cubes.
-Dice cooked, cooled beets, and add to potatoes.
-Chop a green onion and add.
-Add four tablespoons oil and mix thoroughly; then add two tablespoons wine vinegar.
-Add a little sugar to taste.
-Chop 2 dill pickles and add. Finely cut a dill sprig, and add. Chill and serve.
Mix one cup each cold cooked carrot cubes and potato cubes, one cup cold cooked peas, and one cup cold cooked beans, and marinate with French Dressing. Arrange on lettuce leaves in four sections, and cover each section with Mayonnaise Dressing.
Garnish two sections with small pieces of smoked salmon, one section with finely chopped whites of hard boiled eggs, and one section with yolks of hard-boiled eggs forced through a strainer. Put small sprigs of parsley or shrimps in lines dividing sections.
Hot German Potato Salad
- Peel and cook 4 medium potatoes, and when cooled cut in slices or squares.
- 4 slices of bacon cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp oil or margarine Brown until cooked and put aside and into the juice.
- Tblsp flour
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste.
In a frying pan put:
If this is too thick, add a little water and stir in the bacon and onion mix, and the potatoes. Heat through stirring until hot.
Recipe from 1973 cookbook
German Potato Salad 1
- 8 med-to-large all purpose potatoes
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tblsp. pimento
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
Boil potatoes in jackets. When done and slightly warm, peel and slice them thin. Slice onion, add pimento, salt and pepper. Add flour to hot bacon drippings. Mix vinegar, water and sugar. Add to bacon drippings. Mix vinegar, water and sugar. Add to bacon-flour mixture. Simmer, stirring all the while for two minutes. Pour over potatoes. Mix well. Allow to stand at least two hours before serving. Potato amount may be doubled without doubling sauce.
See the recipe: German Potato Salad 1
German Potato Salad 2
- 6 potatoes
- 5 Tblsp. bacon drippings
- 1 jar sweet pickle juice
- 4 strips crumbled fried bacon
- 1 green pepper(mango)
- 4 Tblsp. flour
- 1 sm. jar pimentos
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 slices onion
Boil potatoes in jackets approximately 1 hour until tender. Peel. When cold, slice. Fry bacon 15 minutes before potatoes are done, in large skillet add bacon drippings and flour to make thick. Pour in the pickle juice. (Add 1 glass water.) Cook until thick.
Salt and pepper in medium amount. In small pan cut celery and onion into small pieces and cook until tender. (approx. 5 min.)
Add to juice in skillet. Mix well, should be warm. Add to sliced potatoes in bowl with pimentos and bacon. Mix well. Serve.
See the recipe: German Potato Salad 2
Salad Recipe pages
- Sandwich Salads - Like ham, turkey, chicken or tuna salads.
- Cole Slaw - Salads made with cabbage.
- Egg Salads - What to make with hard boiled eggs.
- Macaroni Salads - A favorite summer dish
- Fruit Salads - Favorite summertime treat, like Waldorf salad.
- Summer Salads - Salads with different vegetables, like carrot raisin salad.
- Salad Dressings - Make your own salad dressings easily.
- Mayonnaise - How to make mayonnaise.
Food for Thought:
Happiness is like potato salad.
When you share it with others, it's a picnic.