We have a really nice Pear Tree that we planted in the backyard 7 yrs ago. It has produced almost every year. Last year it was so loaded with pears, the top branches almost touched the ground. I haven't canned any pears yet, but I have pared and froze them for winter use.
We cut back the long branches last Fall, and we didn't get any pears this year. But when we do, I plan on making use of this page on canning pears.
These instructions for canning fruit from a 1922 recipe book using an Open Kettle method will be useful too.
Pear Apple Conserve 33
- Chop or grind 2 qts. pears, 1 qt apples and 1 c. raisins.
- Put into a large pot. Add 7 c. sugar, and cook until clear.
- Then add 1 c. nutmeats and cook 5 min. more.
Seal in sterilized jars.
See the recipe: Pear Apple Conserve 33
Pear and Tart Apple Jam
- 1 pint diced pears
- 1 pint diced tart apples
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
Peel and dice fruit. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Boil mixture until it is thick and clear, stirring frequently. Pour into sterilized Kerr Jars and seal while hot.
Recipe from the ABC's of Canning by Zella Hale Weyant pg 27
Pear Jam 34
- 22 pears
- 1 No. 2 1/2 size can crushed pineapple
- Maraschino cherries and juice
- 2 oranges, juice and rind
Use 3/4 c. sugar to each cup of fruit.
Peel and dice pears; slice oranges real thin. Cut cherries in fourths.
Measure fruit and sugar. Cook slowly until it thickens, stirring carefully.
Be sure fire is low; otherwise the fruit becomes too dark as it scorches easily.
See the recipe: Pear Jam 34
Pear Honey 66
- 2 qts. pears, peeled and put through food chopper.
- Add 1 qt. sugar, juice of 1 lemon, rind of lemon, grated.
- Boil slowly until it thickens, stirring often.
Can while hot.
See the recipe: Pear Honey 66
More Fruit Canning recipes: