How to Make KrautburgersKrautburgers are really good, and they are actually the original pizza pockets. I made these for years before they came out with commercial stuffed pockets.
The picture below is from Jeff!
Also see recipes for Meat Pies
- 1 medium cabbage grated, and steamed until tender
- 1 lb hamburger and 1 chopped onion browned
- Shredded cheese
Put a mound of filling, 1/3 cup on each circle of dough.
Fold up sides and pinch to seal all edges, turn over and place on greased cookie sheet.
HOMEMADE BREAD DOUGH
-Mix 1 package of yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
-Heat 2 cups milk then add 3 tablespoons of shortening,
-2 teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
-When the milk is lukewarm add the softened yeast.
-Then add 5 to 6 cups of flour to make a soft dough.
-Knead until soft and smooth about 8 minutes. Cover bowl.
-Pinch off a piece of dough about golf ball size, and flatten out to the size of a small saucer. I use a straight sided glass.
-Fill with 1/3 cup of FILLING. Fold up sides and pinch to seal.
-Place upside down on a greased baking sheet.
-Let rise ten minutes. Bake at 375 20 minute
Fry up about 1 lb hamburger in small particles. At the same time, boil 5 cups of shredded cabbage for 10 minutes. Combine the two, leaving in a little moisture. Season heavily with seasoned salt.
- Bun Mixture:
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1/4 c. warm water
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. scalded milk
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 to 3 c. flour
Soften yeast in water. In mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, salt and milk. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg and yeast. Gradually add flour to form stiff dough. Cover; let stand in warm place until doubled. Toss onto a floured surface until no longer sticky. Pat out on board about 3/8 inch thick. Cut in 3 inch squares. Fill with meat mixture (about 1 Tbsp.). Let rise awhile--20 to 30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. Makes about 15.
Recipe from a South Dakota recipe book
Ground beef Recipes
- Beef Stew Recipes - Easy to make, my own recipe too.
- Easy Casserole Recipes - Casseroles are here.
- Easy Chili Recipes - Recipes for chili, I prefer not hot!
- Sweet and Sour Dishes - Easy Chinese rice dish.
- Meat pies - Easy to make, original hot pockets.
- Easy Rice Dishes Recipes - Favorite easy rice dishes.
- Spaghetti and Sauce Recipes - Spaghetti sauce from scratch.
- Taco Recipes - Every recipe I could find using taco seasoning.